so you have a cool thing and want to see it in the zine? ok! first thing to
check: what kind of thing is it? generally, what gets sent in will be accepted
(and things will probably stay that way, barring some kind of flood
necessitating that things be rejected). however, there are a few things that
won't (knowingly) be published:
- misinformation and dangerous advice
- things intended to harm others
- "political rants" or other rage pieces. but if you have something like an art manifesto, send it over to surfaces, they love that stuff.
- low-effort submissions (though that's a bit subjective, granted...)
- shameless advertisements (there's a fine line here, though. "check out my cool thing!" is probably ok)
a few examples of things likely to go over well:
- tutorials and technical how-tos
- essays or academic research (interesting blog-posts work too!)
- short creative writing (fiction, non-fiction, poetry...)
- artwork (photography, sketches, glitch-art, whatever)
- comics / manga one-shots (would be cool to have more of this stuff)
- puzzles, games, or other interactive-type things
so that's the what and why. as for how:
- email all submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, either as attachments or external links
- include how you want to be credited (i.e. name, nickname, anonymous, or something else)
- please say whether your email address is temporary or if you can be reached there / somewhere else later on (and whether or not you want the address included in "credits" areas). we edit things sometimes, and this provides an opportunity to get back to you with edits / make sure they aren't trampling on artistic style etc.
- include any explanations you think are necessary
- please specify any preferences you have for presentation of your work (such as whether we should include the line breaks, etc)
content printed in our volumes indicates rights extended to us (exclusively) to modify and reprint the work under the volume's license. authors remain the sole authority on how their content is used outside of the lainzine.
until further notice (announced on this page), present and future zines will be
released under a CC BY-NC-SA
4.0 license. see
as for release dates, because this is a non-profit community project, the
general mentality is "it's done when it's done". we apologise for any annoyance
this may cause, and, if you think you can help things along, feel free to email
about that as well.
until next time (^_^)/